Estimated Figures Based on Legislative Action as of April 7, 2021
The New York State Library prepared these Library Aid Charts in order to project estimated aid payments for FY 2021-2022 state aid for libraries based on Legislative Action as of April 7, 2021.
Library aid is allocated based on formulas in Education Law. The 2010 U.S. Census was used for the first time in 2012-2013. Chapter 56 of the Laws of 2021 includes special language provisions so that each library aid recipient or program is funded based on statutory formulas in Education Law with an additional one-time hold harmless provision back to 2001-2002, prior to the application of an across-the-board reduction necessary to reach the reduced appropriation level.
In addition, some aid formulas include per capita or per student factors. Therefore, the amounts for 2021-2022 may vary from what would be anticipated based on prior years.
These Library Aid Charts include:
- Chapter 50 of the Laws of 2021: $350,000 in State Operations funds to the State University of New York for the four SUNY Centers for the Conservation/Preservation Statutory Formula Aid allocation (Education Law 273(7)(a)).
- Chapter 53 of the Laws of 2021: $94,127,000 in Local Assistance funds to the State Education Department for statutory library aid programs for FY 2020-2021.
These charts DO NOT include:
- Chapter 50 of the Laws of 2021: $693,000 in State Operations funds to the State Education Department for the New York State Library Talking Book and Braille Library (Education Law 273(8)) and the State Library's Conservation/Preservation Statutory Formula Aid allocation (Education Law 273(7)(a)).
- Chapter 54 of the Laws of 2021: $34 million in Capital funds to the State Education Department for State Aid for Library Construction for FY 2021-2022.
- Chapter 50 of the Laws of 2021:
$250,000 for The New York Public Library’s Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture and $75,000 to the Queens Borough Public Library for the Langston
Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center.
SEE: Library Legislation in New York State: 2021 Chapters