Daughters of the American Revolution Mohawk Chapter Collection, 1778-1970
SC23591

Quantity: 1 box (0.25 cubic ft.)
Access: Open to research
Acquisition: Gift; Mohawk Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 2018
Processed By: Matthew Laudicina, Senior Librarian, Manuscripts and Special Collections, August 2019

Historical Note

The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR), a nonprofit, nonpolitical volunteer women's service organization that promotes historic preservation, education, and patriotism, was founded in 1890. The Mohawk Chapter NSDAR was organized by fifteen of Albany’s "most prominent women" and was named for the most easterly tribe of the Iroquois Confederation. Its charter was granted on April 10, 1895. Mrs. William Croswell Doane was the first regent. 

Scope and Content Note

This collection includes a 1787 patent granting land to Alexander Macomb, an 1833 facsimile of George Washington’s account of expenses during the Revolutionary War, and a permit from the British Army to Charles Wheeler to take to Blue Point, Long Island, "one Hogs head Rum, one Do. [ditto] Melasses [sic], one Barrel Sugar, twelve pounds Tea [?] & Bundle [?] felt [?]. September 24, 1778."

Box and Folder List

Box

Folder

Description

1

1

Patent to Alexander Macomb “All that Eastern Tract or Parcel of Land situate lying and being in the County of Montgomery on the South East side of the River St. Lawrence and Distinguished on a Map filed in the Secretary’s Office by Lot Number Forty seven in the Township of Oswegatche Beginning at the most Southerly Corner of Lot Number forty eight and running thence South Sixty two Degrees West Eighty Chains then North twenty eight Degrees West Eighty Chains then North Sixty two Degrees East Eighty Chains and then South twenty eight Degrees East Eighty Chains to the place of Beginning Containing Six hundred and forty Acres , December 22, 1787 (on parchment with attached round wax (beeswax?) pendant seal)

1

2

Facsimile published in 1833: "Accounts, G[eorge]. Washington, with the United States, commencing June 1775, and ending June 1783, comprehending a space of 8 Years."

1

3

Patent for 160 acres of bounty land in Illinois issued to Theodore A. Goold in August 1818, signed by President James Monroe.

1

4

Deed from Stephen Van Rensselaer to Thomas Herring and Willard Walker of the City of Albany, merchants, land in the Village of Greenbush, October 27, 1806.

1

5

The Holy Bible Abridged: or, the History of the Old and New Testament. Illustrated with Notes, and Adorned with Cuts. For the Use of Children. To Which Is Added, a Compleat Abstract of the Old and New Testament. With the Apocrypha, in Easy Verse (New York: Printed by Hodge, Allen, and Campbell, and sold at their respective Book-store, 1790). Presented to the Mohawk Chapter by Mrs. Matthew Robertson.

1

6

Permit from the British Army to Charles Wheeler to take to Blue Point, Long Island, “one Hogs head Rum, one Do. [ditto] Melasses [sic], one Barrel Sugar, twelve pounds Tea [?] & Bundle [?] felt [?]. September 24, 1778."

1

7

Bill for Thomas’s Inn, Salem, Washington County, N.Y., n.d. (Albany, N.Y.: Printed by Charles R. Webster). Endorsement: Thomas’s Bill of Fare for Winthrop and myself paid.

1

8

Print. "The American General [Charles] Lee taken Prisoner by Lieutenant Colonel [William?] Harcourt of the English Army, in Morris Country [sic], New Jersey, 1776." At head of title: Engraved for Barnard's New Complete & Authentic History of England. Below print: Hamilton delin. [and] awkins sculp.

1

9

2 items:

  1. Mounted print of a photograph of the pulpit of the Dutch Reformed Church. Signature below photo: Augustus Pruyn. Verso: "Old pulpit made in Holland in the year 1656 for the Dutch Church and used until 1806. Now in the North Dutch Church." In another hand: "Twin steeple church – N. Pearl – 3/6/70 / Oldest pulpit in the United States"
  2. Mounted print of photograph of the stone Senate House of New York in Kingston. Signature below photo: Augustus Pruyn. Verso: "Col. Wessel Ten Broeck born at Westphalia 1635 erected this stone house about 1676 wherein the Senate of State of New York was held in the year of the adoption of its first Constitution, 1777- continued here until the burning of Kingston, October 16th, 1777"

 

Last Updated: December 31, 2019