|Quantity:||1 box (0.25 cu. ft.); 1 map|
|Access:||Open to research|
|Processed by:||Honor Conklin, Archivist, Manuscripts and Special Collections
Henry Walton (1768-1844) was the son of Jacob and [?] (Cruger) Walton, a prominent New York City family. Jacob Walton, with his brother William, founded William and Jacob Walton and Co., Importers.
Henry Walton was educated in England between 1782 and 1788 in Twickenham, a village outside London, under the guardianship of his uncle, Peter Van Schaack (1747-1832), during Van Schaack's exile from America for his stance on the Revolutionary War. (Peter Van Schaack was married to Elizabeth Cruger, the daughter of Henry Cruger and sister of Henry Walton's mother.) During times that Van Schaack was away from London he corresponded with his nephew and some of the letters have been published in Henry Cruger Van Schaack's biography on his father, The Life of Peter Van Schaack. For references to the Waltons see also the correspondence of Peter Van Schaack to his daughter, Elizabeth (Mrs. Henry I.) (Van Schaack) Frey in the Samuel Ludlow Frey Papers (SC9829). Henry Walton lost both his parents shortly upon his arrival in England.
Walton returned to America about 1788 at the age of twenty and studied law with Aaron Burr. In 1790 he removed to Ballston Spa, Saratoga County, New York and then to Albany, New York. Henry Walton's first wife, Pernette Sara de Maffe, died in 1798. He then married Mrs. Mathilda (Cruger) Yates with whom he had Jacob, Mary, Henry (1806-1865), an Ithaca artist, Jared, Cruger, Mathilda, and William Henry born 1808 in Ballston Spa. William Henry Walton was the original owner of the United States Spring (Magnesia Spring). Walton third wife was Mrs. Margaret Kearney; their children were Susan, Jared, and Susan K.
In 1816 Henry Walton removed to Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County, New York, taking possession of land willed to him by his father and his uncle, William Walton. Jacob, William Jr., Thomas, and Gerard Walton acquired various properties from the Mohawk Valley to New Hampshire, several of them, such as the one documented in this collection, being in the Kayaderosseras Patent. It was there that he built his home "Woodlawn." Henry Walton practiced law with a Mr. Leavett and in 1819 built the Pavillion Hotel. He died in 1844 and is buried in the family vault in Trinity Church, New York City, New York.
Description of Contents:
The financial series contains two account books. One has penciled on the fly leaf, "Accts of 'Woodlawn' Saratoga Judge Henry Walton's father['s] estate" and gives accounts for 1826 to 1830, headed on each page by a person's name. The final pages refer to Livestock. The second account book lists the personal cash expenses of [William] Henry Walton by day, month, and year from 1866 to 1871.
Land papers consist of a volume containing a schedule of property owned by Henry Walton as well as listing leases and bonds, and mortgages for 1822 to 1845. Also included is a map of "Woodlawn," Lot No. 1, subdivision No. 6, 17th general allotment of Kayaderosseras Patent, Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County, New York, belonging to Henry Walton, with a sketch of a dwelling.
|1||1||Account book of Henry Walton's "Woodlawn," Saratoga County, New York, 1826-1830|
|2||Account book of [William] Henry Walton, 1866-1871|
|3||Map (33 x 40.5 cm.) of "Woodlawn," Lot No. 1 in subdivision No. 6 in the 17th General Allotment of Kayaderosseras Patent, Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County, New York, belonging to Henry Walton, with a sketch of a dwelling, n.d.(NOTE: This map is housed with oversize MSS maps.)|
|4||Schedule of the property of Henry Walton with lists of leases and bonds, and mortgages, 1 volume, 1822-1845|