Postcard Collection -
A Select Bibliography to Publications and Other Resources Related to the History of Picture Postcards in the New York State Library.
In addition to what is called the Postcard Collection (QC16510), there are several other postcard collections in Manuscripts and Special Collections as well as collections that contain postcards.
- Fred B. Abele Transportation History Collection (SC22662). This collection of photographs and related research materials on railroad and water transportation includes many postcards. An unpublished finding aid is available in the reading room and on the library's web site.
- Joseph Covino Postcard Collection (SC18393). This collection consists of postcards depicting libraries around the world. Views of libraries in New York State comprise the majority of images. An unpublished finding aid is available in the reading room.
- James E. West Photographic Collection (SC17900). This group of over 1000 photographs taken by a photographer who resided in rural Rensselaer County includes many "Real Photo" postcard views of Grafton, Berlin and Petersburg. An unpublished finding aid is available in the reading room.
- Lyall A. Squair Teddy Roosevelt Postcard Collection (PRI5399). This collection of about 740 postcards collected by Lyall Squair depicts Theodore Roosevelt and subjects related to him including things named after him, teddy bears and animals he hunted.
- Greeting Card Collection (QC16508). The collection includes many postcards, arranged by the events and holidays.
Bibliography (selected list) of books related to postcards in the New York State Library’s collection:
Appelgate, Ray D. Trolleys and Streetcars on American Picture Postcards (New York: Dover Publications, 1979). New York State Library call number: C,741.68,qA646,84-29243
Emily Lowe Gallery. Wish You Were Here: [The History of the Picture Postcard]. An Exhibition Organized by the Emily Lowe Gallery, Hofstra University ... June 24-August 30, 1974. (Hempstead, N.Y.: The Gallery, ). New York State Library call number: N,708.147,qE53,90-664
Kennedy, Rod. Lost New York in Old Postcards (Salt Lake City: Gibbs-Smith Pub., 2001). New York State Library call number: R,974.71041,qK363,204-7735
Klamkin, Marian. Picture Postcards. (New York: Dodd, Mead, ): A,769.5,qK63 75-7031
Menchine, Ron. Propaganda Postcards of World War II (Iola, Wisc: Krause, 2000). New York State Library call number: C,940.5488,qM536,201-2791
On cover: More than 300 postcards from over 20 nations with incisive commentary.
Miller, George. Picture Postcards in the United States, 1893-1918. (New York: Crown Publishers, 1976). New York State Library call number: A,769.5,M648,76-8880
Nicholson, Susan Brown. The Encyclopedia of Antique Postcards. (Radnor, Penn.: Wallace-Homestead, 1994). New York State Library call number: A,741.68303,qN628,97-11048
Range, Thomas E. The Book of Postcard Collecting (New York: Dutton, 1980). New York State Library call number: A,741.683075,qR196,81-27604
Rinker, Harry L. “The Old Raging Erie – There Have Been Several Changes”: A Postcard History of the Erie Canal and Other New York State Canals, 1895 to 1915 (Berkeley Heights, N.J.: Canal Captain's Press, 1984). New York State Library call number: A,386.4609747,qR582,85-27865
Stein, Geoffrey N. Where's the Fire? American Firefighters in Picture Postcards, Circa 1910 (Vestal, N.Y.: Vestal Press, 1992). New York State Library call number: C,628.920973,qS819,93-1923
Welsch, Roger L. Tall-tale Postcards: A Pictorial History (South Brunswick: A. S. Barnes, 1976). New York State Library call number: C,769.5, qW458,77-31999