The Great Railroad Strike of 1877
Student Activity Four: Constructed Response Question #2
Transcriptions from The Albany Argus:
- Document #5B - July 27, 1877: A PROCLAMATION By the Mayor.
Carefully read Document #5B, A PROCLAMATION By the Mayor. Then, use Document #5B and your knowledge of social studies to answer the following questions. Put your answers in your own words; supply examples from the document when asked to "support your answer with evidence."
- What circumstances caused Albany's Mayor A. Bleecker Banks to issue this statement?
- List three reasons why Mayor Banks doesn't believe workingmen of Albany want to riot:
- Why does the mayor want to stop people from meeting in large groups?
- According to the mayor, why shouldn't workingmen drink liquor?
- What does the mayor believe he, as leader of the city, must do when such disturbances occur?
- What does the mayor request of all men in Albany?