Controls - Advanced Digital Player
Control buttons used in the Advanced Digital Player are labelled on the picture above. If you press any of the buttons when there is no book in the player, it will identify itself and state its function.
- Tone Up/Tone Down Buttons - The white bullet-shaped buttons on the left side adjust the voice tone over 11 levels.
- Info Button - The white diamond-shaped button on the left provides information about the book (title, author, etc.), current reading position and battery/plug-in status.
- Power On/Off - The red circular button on the left turns the player on and off.
- RW (Rewind) - The triangular white button to the left of the Play/Stop button moves the text backward in increments that are determined by how long the button is held down. It will move to the beginning of the text if held down long enough.
- Play/Stop - The rectangular green button, found above the slot where the digital cartridge is inserted, starts and stops book.
- FF (Fast Forward) - The triangular white button to the right of the Play/Stop button moves the text forward in increments that are determined by how long the button is held down. It will move to the end of the text if held down long enough.
- Sleep - The crescent-shaped white button above the Play/Stop button turns the player off automatically after a set time is reached. You can set the length of time to play in increments of 15 minutes to one hour. To cancel, press the Play/Stop button.
- Volume Up/Volume Down - The yellow bullet-shaped buttons control the volume, providing 15 volume levels up and down. The player will indicate when minimum and maximum volumes have been reached.
- Mark Button - The white rectangular button, with a raised horizontal line through it, is located on the right side of the player, between the Volume and Speed controls. It is used to insert or remove a bookmark at the current reading position.
- Speed Up/Speed Down - The white bullet-shaped buttons on the right adjust the voice speed, providing 16 levels of speed. The player will indicate when minimum and maximum levels have been reached.
- Next Button - The white triangular button pointing right located in the middle of the menu and mark buttons moves text forward to the next item at the selected navigation level. It will navigate forward through a book to reach the end of the text and works with the menu button.
- Menu Button - The rectangular white button, with a raised horizontal line through it, is located in the middle of the player between the prev and next buttons. It is used to select the type and level of navigation through a book and works with the Prev and Next buttons.
- Prev Button - The white button pointing left, located between the info and menu buttons, moves text back to the previous item at the selected navigation level. It works with the Menu button and will navigate backward through a book to reach the beginning of the text.
In addition to the controls on the top of the player, there are two sockets on the right side of the player.
- Headphone Socket - The round socket with the green rim located closest to the handle is for headphones. When headphones are plugged in, the player's speaker is disconnected. This port may also be used for external speakers.
- USB Port - The rectangular socket, which may have a black plastic cover over it, is a USB port. This is where you insert a flash drive (thumb drive) to play books downloaded from BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download).
For more detailed description of the controls, see the DTBM overview, a Powerpoint slideshow from the Library of Congress.