Downloading BARD Audio Books with Windows XP
Step 1: Download the audio book from BARD
- Go to BARD and log in.
- Insert your flash drive in the computer or attach your blank cartridge with the USB cable.
- Search or browse for an audio book to read. (Use the Tab key or the mouse to navigate through a browse list or through a search result)
- Click or press Enter on the blue Download link for the book you have chosen (screenshot 1). Choose Save in order to download the book (screenshot 2).
You can either:
- Save to your computer's hard drive (C:), to be extracted (unzipped) and saved to your USB flash drive or digital cartridge removable drive later. Many people like to download to their desktop (screenshot 3).
- Or save to a "bard download" folder on your hard drive (C:) that you have created.
- Or save directly to the removable drive on your computer (usually E:, F:, or G:).
- When the digital book has finished downloading, a "Download Complete" window will be displayed on the screen (screenshot 4). Choose Close. It is never necessary to open BARD books.
- At this point your BARD book is of the type Compressed (zipped) Folder. Because it is compressed it will end with the .zip file extension.
Step 2: Extract or "unzip" the downloaded book
You must extract or "unzip" each book before you can listen to it on your talking book player. In this step, you will extract the book on your C: drive, and then in Step 3, move or copy the extracted version to your removable drive.
- Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate to your book. Right-click on your book folder or press Shift + F10 to bring up the context menu.
- Select the Extract All option (screenshot 5).
- The Extraction Wizard screen will open. If using the mouse, click Next to continue. Or press Enter if using keyboard (screenshot 6).
- The Extraction Wizard will then extract the book to the same folder as the original download destination, such as the Desktop on the C: drive (screenshot 7).
- After getting the "Extraction Complete" message, uncheck the "Show extracted files" check box and select Finish (screenshot 8).
If you unzipped the audio book to the Desktop, or to a folder on your C: drive, you can now move or copy the uncompressed folder (now without the .zip extension) to your flash drive or digital cartridge.
Original download folder: DB-Davis, William C.-The Battle of New Market-DB68051.zip
Uncompressed folder: DB-Davis, William C.-The Battle of New Market-DB68051
You may now delete the original compressed download folder that ends with .zip.
- In Windows XP, My Computer is usually found on the Desktop. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and navigate to your extracted book folder (screenshot 9).
- Move or copy the extracted book folder, for example DB-Davis, William C.-The Battle of New Market-DB68051, from your download destination (such as the Desktop) to your flash drive or digital cartridge.
Example: To move or copy the unzipped book folder named DB-Davis, William C.-The Battle of New Market-DB68051, use My Computer or Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder. (Remember that in Step 2 above the Extraction Wizard extracted the zipped book to the same folder as the original download destination, for example the Desktop).
- Once you use the mouse or the Tab key to navigate to the unzipped book folder, right-click on the folder using your mouse and then select Cut (to move) or Copy (to copy). Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate to your removable drive and use the right-click menu to select Paste. This will move or copy the book to the removable drive.
- Or if the keyboard is being used, Tab to the unzipped book, then choose CTRL+X or CTRL+C to move or copy. Then, using My Computer or Windows Explorer, Tab to the removable drive, then choose CTRL+V. This will move or copy the book to the removable drive (screenshot 10).
Keyboard shortcuts: Move or Cut (CTRL+X); Copy (CTRL+C); Paste (CTRL+V).
Step 4: Play the book
- Safely remove the flash drive or cartridge from your computer.
- Turn your digital player on.
- Plug your flash drive into the USB port on your digital player. (Note: The USB port, which has a removable plastic cover, is on the right side of the player, next to the audio jack.) Or, if using a digital cartridge, insert it in the front of the player, just like a regular digital book.
- The digital player will announce the book that is on your flash drive or cartridge. Press Play to listen. Or, if there are multiple books, hold the Play button down until the player beeps to go into bookshelf mode so you can select the book you want.
- Once you have finished a book, you can delete it from your flash drive or cartridge. Or, if you think you may want to read the book again later, you can keep the book, in either its zipped or unzipped form.
Please Note: The above instructions describe the download process on a computer using Microsoft Windows XP. Windows 7 and Mac instructions are also available.