Downloading BARD Audio Books with Windows 7
Please Note: These instructions describe the download process on a laptop using Microsoft Windows 7, with MS Internet Explorer as the browser. Windows XP and Mac instructions are also available.
Step 1: Download the audio book
- Go to BARD and log in.
- Insert your flash drive in the computer or attach your blank cartridge with the USB cable.
- Search or browse for an audio book to read. (Use the Tab key or the mouse to navigate through a browse list or through a search result.)
- Click or press Enter on the blue Download link for the book you have chosen. At the bottom of the screen you will be asked if you want to open or save the book. Choose Save in order to download the book (see screenshot 1). The book will then download to a default location on your computer's hard drive. In Windows 7 this is usually the path C:\Users\your_computer_name\Downloads (see screenshot 2).
- At this point your BARD book is of the type Compressed (zipped) Folder. (See screenshot 3.)
Step 2: "Unzip" or extract the downloaded book
You must extract or "unzip" each book before you can listen to it on your talking book player. In this step, you will extract the book on your C: drive, and then in Step 3, move or copy the extracted version to your removable drive.
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your book in the Downloads folder. Remember that the path to the book will be C:\Users\your_computer_name\Downloads. Right-click on the book folder or press Shift + F10 to bring up the context menu.
- Select the "Extract" option. (See screenshot 4.)
- The Extraction Wizard will then extract the book to the Downloads folder. Note that you must make sure that the checkbox that says "Show extracted files when complete" is unchecked. (See screenshot 5.) If it is unchecked by default on your Windows 7 version, then it is not necessary to do anything. But if the checkbox is checked, you must uncheck it. Pressing your spacebar will uncheck it, or you can use your mouse.
- After extraction there will be two book folders in your Downloads folder. One will be the original compressed book with the .zip extension and the second folder will be the extracted (unzipped) version. The .zip file extension will be gone. It is this unzipped version that will play on your digital player. (See screenshot 6.)
- You may now delete the original compressed download folder that ends with .zip.
Original download folder: DB-Clegg, Brian-Armageddon Science- The Science of Mass
Uncompressed folder: DB-Clegg, Brian-Armageddon Science- The Science of Mass
Step 3: Move the book to your flash drive or cartridge
If you saved and unzipped the audio book on your C: drive, you can now move or copy the uncompressed folder to your flash drive or digital cartridge. If it is already on the flash drive or digital cartridge, skip to Step 4.
- Once you use the mouse or the Tab key to navigate to the unzipped book folder, right-click on the folder using your mouse and then select Cut (to move) or Copy (to copy). Navigate to your removable drive and use the right-click menu to select Paste. This will move or copy the book to the removable drive.
- Or if the keyboard is being used, Tab to the unzipped book, then choose CTRL+X or CTRL+C to move or copy. Then navigate to the removable drive and choose CTRL+V. This will move or copy the book to the removable drive (see screen 7).
Keyboard shortcuts: Move or Cut (CTRL+X); Copy (CTRL+C); Paste (CTRL+V).
Step 4: Play the book
- Safely remove the flash drive or cartridge from your computer.
- Turn your digital player on.
- Plug your flash drive into the USB port on your digital player. (Note: The USB port, which has a removable plastic cover, is on the right side of the player, next to the audio jack.) Or, if using a digital cartridge, insert it in the front of the player, just like a regular digital book.
- The digital player will announce the book that is on your flash drive or cartridge. Press Play to listen. Or, if there are multiple books, hold the Play button down until the player beeps to go into bookshelf mode so you can select the book you want.
- Once you have finished a book, you can delete it from your flash drive or cartridge. Or, if you think you may want to read the book again later, you can keep the book, in either its zipped or unzipped form.