Downloading BARD Audio Books with a Mac Computer
- Log in to BARD.
- Find the book you want to read.
- Click or press Enter on the blue Download link. The download process will begin automatically and may take several minutes, depending on the size of the book and the speed of your connection to the internet. (See screenshot 1.)
- Most Macs automatically unzip the books when downloading, and save the files in the Downloads folder on your hard drive. (The zipped version will go automatically to trash.)
Note: If you have an older Mac that downloads the book in a zipped format (see screenshot 2), you will need to unzip, or "unarchive" the file before your digital player can read it. To unzip a file, just double click on it (or press Enter). It may take a few seconds; during this time, the Archive Utility window will appear on screen, showing the progress of the unzip process. (See screenshot 3.) The files inside will automatically be unarchived into a new folder with the same name as the original zipped file (but without the .zip extension). The new folder will be in the same directory as the original zipped book folder. (See screenshot 4.)
- Insert your flash drive or digital cartridge in your Mac's USB port. You should see an icon for it appear on your desktop, usually in the upper right corner.
- Open Finder.
- Open the Downloads folder to see your book.
- Move, copy or drag-and-drop the unzipped book from the Downloads folder to your flash drive or blank digital cartridge. (In Finder, your USB flash drive or blank digital cartridge should be listed under Devices. Or, if you can see the desktop icon for the flash drive, you can drop or paste the files there.)
You can put multiple books on a flash drive or cartridge. A 4-gigbyte flash drive or cartridge can hold about 30 books.
Keyboard shortcuts: Move or Cut (Command+X); Copy (Command+C); Paste (Command+V).
Note: On older Macs, the "Command" key may have the Apple ™ logo on it.
- Eject the flash drive or cartridge from your Mac.
- Turn your digital player on.
- Plug your USB flash drive into the USB port on your digital player. (Note: The USB port, which has a removable plastic cover, is on the right side of the player, next to the audio jack. See image.) If using a digital cartridge, insert it in the front of the player, just like a regular digital book.
- The player will recognize the book that is on your flash drive or cartridge. If there are multiple books, hold down the Play/Stop button until it beeps to go into bookshelf mode and select the book you want.
- Once you have finished a book, you can delete it from your flash drive or cartridge. Or, if you think you may want to read the book again later, you can keep the book, in either its zipped or unzipped form.
Please note: These instructions and screenshots were prepared using a MacBook laptop running Mac OS X, version 10.6.4. If you have an older or newer Mac, some steps in the process might look a bit different on your computer.
PC instructions are also available.