New York State Government Employees
New York State Government (State Agency, Legislative and Judicial) employees are eligible to receive a NYS Library State Government Employee Borrower's Card. These borrower's cards begin with a "P" number.
With a NYS Library Borrower's Card you can:
- borrow materials from the State Library’s 20 million item collection
- request materials in person, over the telephone (518-474-5355), via fax (518-474-5279), via email at email@example.com or through Excelsior, the NYSL online catalog
- pick up materials onsite at the Circulation Desk or request that items be sent to your office (See Pick up and Delivery Options for more information.)
- remotely access, from work or home, the Library’s collection of online databases and millions of magazine, journal and newspaper articles available in over 20,000 full-text online journals and newspapers
- submit Interlibrary Loan requests for items not owned by the State Library in person at the Reference Desk, over the phone (518-474-5355), via email or online via ILLiad
NYS government employees must complete a NYSL State Government Employee Borrower's Card application (44 KB) and must verify their status as a NY state government employee by presenting one of the following:
- current NY State Government (State Agency, Legislative or Judicial) photo-identification card that includes an expiration date
- recent NY State Government paycheck stub AND a current State Agency, Legislative or Judicial photo-identification card
- recent NY State Government paycheck AND current NYS driver license, or current photo-identification card issued by the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
You can white out the salary information on the pay stub if you’d like. Photocopies are acceptable when mailing, faxing or e-mailing your proof of status.
A NYSL Borrower's Card is issued for individual use and is non-transferable. Please do not share your NYSL Borrower’s Card number or PIN with others.
NYSL Government Employee Borrower's Cards must be renewed every two years.