Lessons and Classroom Activities
- Curriculum guides (grade 4): The New World through Dutch Eyes and Daily Life in New Netherland (zipped PDF files, 14.8 MB). These guides are designed to help educators both use primary source documents in the classroom and teach the "Three Worlds Meet" and "Colonial and Revolutionary Periods" learning standards.
- Curriculum guides (grade 7): From the Old World to the New (zipped PDF files, 3.6 MB) and People in New Netherland (zipped PDF files, 8.2 MB). These guides are designed to help educators both use primary source documents in the classroom and teach the "European Exploration and Settlement" and "Life in Colonial Communities" learning standards.
- Documents and worksheets (grades P-6): Throughout the Ages This collection of documents, images, and worksheets explores the history of colonial New York.
- Lessons (grades 3-12): Champlain, Hudson, Fulton. These teaching modules for grades 3-12 were produced by the New York State Education Department as part of the state’s Quadricentennial celebration.
Professional Development Opportunities
- Summer Institute (Elementary and Middle School Educators): The Dutch in New York, August 20-24, 2012. Application Form
- Teacher workshop: Life in the Hudson Valley: Using Translated Dutch Documents.
Upcoming Items of Interest to Teachers
- Lessons: Consider the Source teaching module on New Netherland.
- Publication: New Netherland in a Nutshell by Firth Fabend.
Ann Pfau, Project Manager, 518/486-4986; firstname.lastname@example.org