Civil War Illustrations from News Magazines
In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War, the New York State Library is posting a series of online exhibits related to the war. Most focus on decisive or major battles that included New York State regiments.
The black-and-white illustrations in these exhibits originally appeared in contemporary publications such as Harper's Weekly, New York Illustrated News and Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper. (Note: For Leslie's, the NYS Library's holdings don't begin until 1862.) These magazines would have significantly influenced the way readers perceived the ongoing conflict; like television or internet news programs today, these images and the accompanying articles fed the appetites of those eager for details about the battles, the major players involved, and even the clothes they wore.
Additional exhibits will be added near the anniversary of the battle covered.
- Battle of Fort Sumter - April 12, 1861 (South Carolina)
- First Battle of Bull Run - July 21, 1861 (Virginia)
- Civil War Uniforms
- Battle of Ball's Bluff - October 21, 1861 (Virginia)
- Soldiers' Christmas
- Battle of Roanoke Island - February 7-8, 1862 (North Carolina)
- Battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac (CSS Virginia) - March 8-9, 1862 (Virginia)
- Siege of Yorktown - April 5 to May 4, 1862 (Virginia)
- Battle of Seven Pines - May 31 to June 1, 1862 (Virginia)