Selected Bibliography and Web Sites
[all links below will open in a new window]
- Assessing and Supporting Your Chief Executive; A BoardSource Toolkit. Washington: BoardSource, 2010.
- Breighner, Mary, William Paxton and Jeanne M. Drewes. Risk and Insurance Management Manual for Libraries. Chicago, American Library Association. 2005.
- Carter, Robert Allan. Public Library Law in New York State. Albany, NY. The University of the State of New York, The State Education Department, The New York State Library, 1999; rev. 2006.
- Chait, Richard P., William P. Ryan and Barbara E. Taylor. Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards, Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- Dolnick, Sandy. Essential Friends of Libraries: Fast Facts, Forms, and Tips. American Library Association, 2004.
- Drucker, Peter F. The Drucker Foundation Self-assessment Tool. Revised edition. New York: The Drucker Foundation, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1999.
- Eisner, Joseph. Laws and Regulations for NY Public Libraries: FAQs. Nassau Library System, Uniondale, NY. 2010.
- Hopkins, Bruce. The Legal Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards; a Guidebook for Board Members; Second Edition. Washington: BoardSource, 2009.
- Ingram, Richard T. Ten Basic Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards, Second Edition, Washington: BoardSource, 2009.
- Intellectual Freedom Manual. Seventh edition. Chicago: Office for Intellectual Freedom, American Library Association, 2005.
- Kahn, Miriam. Disaster Response and Planning for Libraries. Second edition. Chicago, American Library Association, 2003.
- Kahn, Miriam. The Library Security and Safety Guide to Prevention, Planning and Response. Chicago, American Library Association, 2007.
- Meeting the Needs of All New Yorkers: Library Service in the New Century; The final report of the Regents Commission on Library Services. 2000.
- Moore, Mary. Successful Library Trustee Handbook. Chicago, American Library Association, 2010.
- Nelson, Sandra and June Garcia. Creating Policies for Results. Chicago, American Library Association, 2003.
- Nelson, Sandra. Strategic Planning for Results. Chicago: American Library Association, 2008.
- New York Library Association. Intellectual Freedom Manual. Albany, NY: Intellectual Freedom Committee, New York Library Association -- new edition, September 2013.
- NYSED Office of Counsel. Education Corporations - Law Pamphlet 9.
- New York State Library. Excerpts from New York State Law and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education pertaining to libraries, library systems, trustees and librarians and a compilation or recently enacted library law.
- The Principles Workbook: Steering Your Board Toward Good Governance and Ethical Practice. BoardSource, 2009.
- Right from the Start; Responsibilities of Directors and Officers of Not-for Profit Corporations. New York State Charities Bureau, Department of Law. Albany.
- Sannwald, William W., ed. Checklist of Library Building Design Considerations. Fifth edition. Chicago: Library Administration and Management Association, American Library Association, 2008.
- Statement on the Governance Role of a Trustee or Board Member. Board of Regents, The University of the State of New York. Albany, 2007.
- Sturgis, Alice. The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure. Fourth revised edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Swan, James. Working together; a How-to-do-it Manual for Trustees and Librarians. New York: Neal-Schuman, 1992.
- Young, Virginia G. The Library Trustee; a Practical Guidebook. Fifth edition. Chicago: American Library Association, 1995.
Useful Web Sites
Trustees are advised to become thoroughly familiar with their own library’s web site and the web site of their regional library system. A few other sites of interest include the following [all links below will open in a new window]:
- American Library Association
- Association for Library Trustee, Advocates, Friends and Foundations
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- BoardSource; National Center for Nonprofit Boards
- Committee on Open Government
- Creating Public Library Districts in New York State
- Dormitory Authority of the State of New York
- Leader to Leader; the Drucker Foundation
- Library Trustees Association of New York State (formerly NYSALB)
- Governmental Accounting Standards Board
- Mid-Hudson Library System Trustee Training
- New York Library Association
- New York State Education Department
- New York State Library
- New York State Comptroller
- New York State Department of State
- New Yorkers for Better Libraries – PAC