March 15, 2001
DRAFT - DRAFT - DRAFT
2001-2002 DIVISION OF LIBRARY DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIC PLAN
Improving Library Services for All in the New Century
GOAL 1: All New Yorkers will have access to the New York Online Virtual Electronic Library (NOVEL) through
libraries of all types transformed by technology.
- Lead effort to develop a statewide implementation plan for NOVEL.
- Partner with systems to increase statewide access to full-text electronic databases and other electronic
resources for libraries of all types through Empirelink pilot project.
- Help systems and libraries secure more funding for technology, including:
- New Century Libraries Act
- Gates Foundation
- E-Rate discounts
- Library Services and Technology Act
- Partner with library systems to strengthen the ability of New York's libraries to help library users acquire
basic computer literacy skills in their communities.
- Continue to provide professional development opportunities to increase Library Development Specialists'
(LDS) knowledge of major technological issues facing libraries.
GOAL 2: All New Yorkers will have access to library services and resources that support their efforts
to become life-long readers and learners.
- Strengthen the ability of New York's libraries to help library users acquire basic English literacy and information
literacy skills in their communities through Adult Literacy, Family Literacy and Library Services and
Technology Act - Special Services competitive grants.
- Encourage reading and literacy by increasing the visibility of the Great New York ReadAloud and
Statewide Summer Reading Program.
- Partner with State Education Department's Office of Elementary, Middle, Secondary and Continuing Education
(EMSC), school library systems and others to significantly strengthen school library media programs.
- Partner with systems and others to improve the capacity of New York's libraries and library systems to meet
special client needs, including expansion of access to library services for persons with learning disabilities.
Key Performance Measures for Goal 2
- Number of libraries and library systems that are partners in literacy, K-12 education, workforce
and economic development initiatives.
- Number of children and libraries participating in the State Library's statewide summer reading
- Number of school library media centers with certified School Library Media Specialists.
- Number of people and libraries participating in the State Library's Great New York Read Aloud.
- Number of systems offering services benefiting persons with learning disabilities.
GOAL 3: Public policy will acknowledge and support the role of libraries in a learning society.
- Lead effort to develop and advocate for the New Century Libraries Act, a Regents priority budget
and legislative initiative.
- Provide leadership for change by strengthening the expertise and accountability of the New York State
- Create a statewide advocacy coalition to implement Commission recommendations.
- Conduct Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) five-year evaluation and use results to lead the
national effort to reauthorize LSTA.
- Develop a comprehensive communications, staffing and funding plan for Library Development.
Key Performance Measures for Goal 3
- New Century Libraries Act legislation is passed by Legislature and signed by Governor.
- Implementation of Commission on Library Services recommendations underway.
- LSTA is reauthorized at an increased level.
- Library Development is adequately staffed and has sufficient funding.
GOAL 4: Libraries* and library systems will provide high quality, cost-effective services, and collections
that meet the needs of their communities, now and in the future.
*For conservation/preservation purposes this also includes archives and historical records repositories.
- Partner with public library systems to help libraries and communities create and strengthen public library
- Partner with library systems to develop a NY EXCELS program for 2002.
- Approve new Plans of Service for 74 library systems during 2001.
- Reassess public library construction needs during 2001 and continue to seek increased State and Federal
funding to modernize library facilities.
- Partner with systems, academic libraries, special libraries and others in an academic and research initiative
to increase statewide access to resources of value to business, education, government and research.
- Partner with systems and others to enhance statewide access to timely medical and consumer health information
for all New Yorkers.
Key Performance Measures for Goal 4
- Number of formerly unserved New Yorkers now with a public library.
- Number of library systems with approved new plans of service.
- Number of libraries and systems benefiting from NY EXCELS program.
- Increase in funds for public library construction.
- Number of academic and special libraries participating in EmpireLink and NOVEL.
GOAL 5: The Library Development staff will provide high quality, cost-effective services to their customers
in a timely manner.
- In cooperation with New York State Archives, implement first phase of the Customer Support System to
improve business processes within the Office of Cultural Education.
- Partner with public library systems and The LibraryPlace to provide a web-based annual reporting process
for public libraries.
- Provide Library Development staff with training opportunities to improve leadership, advisory, facilitation,
communication, conflict negotiation and other skills.
- Enhance and expand Library Development website products and services.
- Assess customer satisfaction with Library Development products and services.
Key Performance Measures for Goal 5
- Number of customers satisfied with Library Development's products and services.
- State aid payments made by established deadlines.
- Implement first phase of Customer Support System.
- Number of libraries and systems rating The LibraryPlace products as satisfactory.
- Number of Website customers.
- Number and types of training opportunities for LD staff.
GOAL 6: Library Development will have a supportive work environment for all staff.
- Improve the physical work environment of Library Development staff.
- Improve internal communications through regular operating team updates.
- Provide thorough orientations for new staff.
- Evaluate effectiveness of LD organizational structure.
- Develop new performance plans for all LD staff members based on this strategic plan and adjusted operational
Key Performance Measures for Goal 6
- Renovated work space for LD staff in 2001.
- Numbers of new staff participating in orientation and training sessions.
- 100% of LD staff have new performance plans by April 2001.
- Evaluation of LD organizational structure by July 2001.
Go to Strategic
Last modified on March 9, 2001/asm
For questions or comments contact us.