School Library System Report Cards
School Library System
2009 Report Cards
School Library Systems (SLS) are a state-aided program set forth in Education Law and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education. Each BOCES and the Big 5 Cities (NYC, Yonkers, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse) sponsor the program, which provides vital library and information resources to public and non-public schools. Each system operates under an approved five-year Plan of Service. Some of the key functions of SLS are: to provide leadership and training through professional development activities, enrich the NYS Learning Standards by providing information literacy awareness and skills training; facilitate resource-sharing among its participating school libraries; interlibrary loan activity for 2008-2009 amounted to one-half million items statewide; facilitate access to electronic databases through NOVELny (New York On-line Virtual Electronic Library) for over 3,900 schools statewide; promote advances in technology for information storage, retrieval and access to school library collections; focus on cooperative collection development of participating school libraries; address the information needs of special client groups and participate in regional library initiatives with the public, academic, special and other school libraries. Students, teachers and administrators in each SLS service area benefit from the programs and services of the School Library System.
School Library Systems (Education Law 282-284, Commissioner Regulations 90.18)
Selected Statewide Data from 2008-2009 Annual Reports submitted to NYSED/NYSL/DLD
Forty-one School Library Systems Serve Nearly 3.0 Million Public and Non-public Schools Pupils, Teachers and Administrators in New York State.
- Number of Public School Districts Served - 713
- Number of Non-public Schools Served is - 485
- Number of Participating School Library Media Centers - 4,467
- Number of Consulting and Technical Assistance Total Contacts by School Library System staff - 210,130
- Number of Professional Development Workshops conducted by the School Library Systems - 2,997
- Number of Participants at Professional Development Workshops conducted by the School Library Systems - 51,118
- Resource Sharing - Interlibrary Activity - 499,824
- Total Reference Transactions by School Library System staff - 90,130
- Total Number of Bibliographic Records in Automated Union Catalog Statewide - 16,514,675