School Library Systems Program
Guidelines for Expenditures of School Library System Categorical Aid for Automation
The budget summary in the online budget application(s) must explain how approvable activities listed below (1-10)
meet these expenditure guidelines. Funds for the school library system aid for automation should be used to continue
the development of school library system activities and to improve resource sharing. Activities which may be approved
for funding include:
- Retrospective conversion up to $1.00 per record will be provided for records that are "ubiquitous."
Up to $10.00 will be provided for records that are "unique." De-duplication charges are allowable.
- Improving access and resource sharing by means of regional or sub-regional bibliographic databases or through
programs based on bibliographic utilities (includes equipment such as file servers).
- Enabling access to and delivery from for-profit and not-for-profit databases as well as other networking activities
by multiple libraries in more than one system.
- Studies related to the planning and implementation of projects in 1, 2, and 3 above, or consultant services
for evaluation of resource-sharing activities.
- Continuing education or training programs directly related to the automation program.
- Union List of serials maintenance/union catalog maintenance.
- Cost-effective alternatives to existing telecommunications services.
- Personnel required for implementing projects. Existing SLS staff salaries and benefits are allowed. Funding
for personnel is limited to partial support of existing programs. Funding from this program may be used to support
existing full-time positions. Temporary employees, per diem employees, consultants are allowed.
Activities which will not be approved using state Categorical Aid for Automation funds are:
- Administrative costs (e.g. rent, heat, electricity).
- Conversion of current acquisitions.
- Cataloging of materials.
- Delivery (except for numbers 3 and 5 above).
- Maintenance (except for number 7 above) of system's database(s).
- Inter-Library Loan reimbursement (subsidizing libraries for lending materials).
- Research and development.
- Barcodes/Barcoding activities.
Go to School Library