Extending the 2011-2016 Plan of Service Due Date
October 4, 2010
To: Directors of Library Systems in New York State
From: Bernard A. Margolis, State Librarian and Assistant Commissioner for Libraries
RE: IMPORTANT: Extending the 2011-2016 Library System Plan of Service Due Date
Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful responses to the question on extending the 2011-2016 Plan of Service due date for one year. There were a variety of replies, with sound reasons for both keeping to the original date and for extension.
In order to accommodate the range of situations,the procedure for submitting the 2011-2016 Plan of Service will be as follows:
- If you do not need an extension, submit a 5 -year plan by the due date already announced for your system type:
- Reference and Research Library Resources Systems -- due April 1, 2011, effective July 1, 2011
- School Library Systems -- due April 1, 2011, effective July 1, 2011
- Public Library Systems -- due October 1, 2011, effective January 1, 2012
- If you are taking advantage of the one year extension, notify Library Development by April 1, 2011, or October 1, 2011, depending on your system type. Please indicate in that message whether:
- your goals and intended results will remain unchanged from Year five (5 ) of the 2006-11 Plan , or
- document in a brief narrative what areas of the Plan will change in 2011-12.
- The period covered by the 2011-16 Plan of Service will remain as announced whether or not an extension is applied. For systems with an extension, the activities for Year One will be those performed in the extension year. Years 2-5 would represent a plan going forward for the remainder of the period covered by the 2011-16 plan.
- Systems taking advantage of a one year extension on submission of a 2011-16 Plan of Service will submit a completed 2011-2016 Plan of Service by the following dates:
- Reference and Research Library Resources Systems -- due April 1, 2012, effective July 1, 2012
- School Library Systems -- due April 1, 2012, effective July 1, 2012
- Public Library Systems -- due October 1, 2012, effective January 1, 2013
This solution provides the flexibility needed in these uncertain budgetary times, while preserving the continuity of data collected and the opportunity for systems to coordinate planning.
Please contact Cassie Artale (518-474-1479) with questions. At a future date, this web site will also indicate to whom in Library Development the system directors should submit plan of service extension information as described in item 2 above.