Train Library Staffers (Southern Tier Library System)

Outcome-Based Evaluation
Best Practices in New York State

(Example illustrating the use of a Complete OBE Package, including a logic model)

Outcome 1: Library staff will keep computers up-to-date.

Indicators: 39 (78%) have installed and updated software programs.

Data Sources: Observation by trainer, survey.

Results Summary: Participants were surveyed to determine whether their library computers had updated software programs such as Windows Updates and Symantec AntiVirus. All of the 39 participants (100%), surveyed and observed reported that library computers now have updated software programs. A total of 31 libraries buildings have been served and approximately 200 computers have been updated as part of the grant thus far.

Outcome #2: Library staff members will keep library computers safe and secure.

Indicators: 25 (50%) have managed anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

Data Sources: Observation by trainer, surveys.

Results Summary: Participants were surveyed to determine whether they were able to manage anti-virus and anti-spyware programs installed on library computers. We surveyed 27 of the library directors involved in the training, 25 (93%) directors responded that they were now able to manage the anti-spyware and anti-software programs.

Outcome #3: Library staff members will use online information to troubleshoot problems.

Indicators: 22 (44%) found needed troubleshooting information on the STLS website.

Data Sources: Survey.

Results Summary: Participants were surveyed to determine whether they were able to find troubleshooting information on the website when needed. We surveyed 28 of the library directors involved in the training, 22 (79% of those surveyed) directors reported that they were able to find needed information on the STLS website and the remaining 6 (21%) reported that they had not yet looked for troubleshooting information on the website..

Outcomes 1-3: All the outcomes for this project predicted what the participants would learn and be able to apply in the workplace. The data collected verified that the predicted results occurred.


OBE Activities

Training Manuals

Certified OBE Trainers

OBE Training Plan

Links

OBE Best Practices home

OBE home

Go to Library Development home page


Last Updated: June 3, 2009