Creating the Future: A 2020 Vision and Plan for Library Service in New York State
The Plan: Creating the Future: A 2020 Vision and Plan for Library Service in New York State; Recommendations of the New York State Regents Advisory Council on Libraries to the New York State Board of Regents | Appendices
(NOTE: .PDF documents are available of the Recommendations by Theme [ 402k] and Sixty Recommendations [ 366k]; See also Priority Recommendations; Results of the 2012 NYLA Conference; The Future of Libraries -- Selected List of Resources)
- May 4, 2013, 1:45 p.m., at the Library Trustees Association of New York State Trustee Institute in Buffalo:
Creating the Future @ Your State Library. Speaker: Bernard A. Margolis, Assistant Commissioner for Libraries and State Librarian. The New York State Library plays a critical leadership role in creating a vibrant future for New York's 7,000 libraries. Our own State Librarian Bernard A. Margolis will provide an overview of the New York State Library and its statewide programs and services, as well as discussing future plans for the improvement of libraries and library services that every library trustee should be aware of.
RAC NYLA Conference Program: November 9, 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Saratoga Springs, sponsored by NYSL, NYLA and LTA of NYS. A roundtable discussion / working session on Implementation.
The Regents Advisory Council on Libraries presented a program during the 2012 NYLA Conference centered around Creating the Future implementation. Over 120 members of the library community attended this program. Attendees were separated into groups to discuss the plan's 60 recommendations by library type. Groups determined the following key recommendations, which will be given priority in implementation.
- Mid-Hudson Library System 53rd Annual Meeting, October 19, 2012. The Annual Meeting hosted a panel discussion on the implementation of Creating the Future: A 2020 Vision and Plan for Library Services. An open discussion followed, providing attendees the opportunity to ask the panel questions regarding implementation. More about the meeting
- I2NY Summit: Monday, September 24 & Tuesday, September 25, 2012, Holiday Inn, Saratoga Springs. Sponsored by the NY 3Rs Association, Inc. This was an interactive two-day learning and discussion event on meeting the needs and expectations of our constituencies through collaborations.
More about the summit | Download the Report on the I2NY Summit | learn more about I2NY
- New York Alliance of Library Systems Retreat: focusing on the Plan’s recommendations concerning library systems, East Greenbush, August 17.
Click here to access the Creating the Future blog, where you will stay up-to-date on library happenings and innovations that support the plan's implementation. This link will redirect you to the blog. There, you have the option to receive email notifications whenever a new post is created. Simply click on the "+ Follow" icon on the bottom right of your screen, type in your e-mail address, and click "Sign me up." We encourage you to sign up!
- Board of Regents Accepts 2020 Vision and Plan for Library Service
- Testimony to the Regents Cultural Education Committee, April 2012
- Developing the 2020 Vision and Plan - Input and Comments from the Library and Education Communities, November 2010 through January 2012
- Second draft for discussion December 2011 | comments received
- First draft for discussion October 2011 | comments received
- Input from Library and Education Communities, March-September 2011
- 2020: What’s Your Vision for Library Services in New York State?; results from November 2010 NYLA Conference Program