Final Report Narratives for Year 1, Year 2, Year 3: 2013-2016
Family Literacy Library Services Grant Program:
"Summer Reading at New York Libraries Through Public Library Systems"
Each grant year period is from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
The Family Literacy grant period is July 1 through June 30 of the following year. This calendar requirement of the law means that reporting on the Family Literacy grant funding for 2013 - 2016 will cover the implementation of one year's summer reading program and the planning for the next year's summer reading program.
Give a brief (1 paragraph) synopsis of the project purpose, activities, and results
Coordination with Agencies
List the cooperating agencies in this project and identify their role(s) in the project including 1) Planning; 2) Project Activities; 3) Evaluation
Using the OBJECTIVES and the ACTIVITIES as they were stated in the original project application, describe project accomplishments.
How was the project publicized? How effective were these methods?
Describe any problems or surprises you encountered in working toward the objectives for this project. What would you do differently?
Planning from Experience
How has planning for the upcoming summer reading season been impacted by activities carried out during the previous summer reading season? (Ex. Adjustment to planning and training for 2014 based on information learned during the 2013 summer reading season.)
How did the family component impact the program?
You are expected to provide an Outcome-Based evaluation (OBE) of your project, involving outputs and outcomes. (More information regarding OBE can be found here) Briefly describe evaluation methods used. Include a summary of the quantitative and qualitative evaluation results and user satisfaction data. Please provide a minimum of two outcomes and how they were measured. Please, also, attach a minimum of two samples of your library or system’s evaluation instruments.
What increases/decreases would you recommend in budget spending? Do you need to make changes to the next year’s FS-10? Please contact Karen Balsen, Library Development Specialist, in the New York State Library, Division of Library Development, at (518) 486-2194.
List additional funds used for this project and where funds were obtained. Estimate the in-kind costs incurred by the library and cooperating agencies.
Project Statistics for Year 1, Year 2, and Year 3 (described for year 1 below)
- Number of libraries and/or branches in the system that offered a summer reading program for children and/or teens in 2013? _____ Plan to offer in 2014_____?
- B. Number of libraries and/or branches in the system that used the CSLP children's slogan for 2013? ______ Plan to use the CSLP Children’s slogan for 2014? _______.
- Number of libraries and/or branches in the system that used the CSLP teen slogan for 2013? ______ Plan to use the CSLP teen slogan for 2014? _________
- TOTAL number of children who registered for the summer reading program in 2013? _________
- TOTAL number of teens who registered for the summer reading program in 2013? _________
- Reading totals for 2013.
For participants recording by time read:
- TOTAL number of children who recorded by minutes read_____
- TOTAL minutes read by these children__________
- TOTAL number of teens who recorded by minutes read______
- TOTAL minutes read by these teens__________
For participants recording by books read:
- TOTAL number of children who recorded by books read_____
- TOTAL number of books children read_______
- TOTAL number of teens who recorded by books read_____
- TOTAL number of books teens read__________
A program is defined as one planned session conducted by a staff member, outside performer or other programmer – it does not include informal visits to the library to report on reading, etc. Please answer each question or type N/A where a question does not apply to your system.
- How many total programs did libraries in the system offer for children during summer 2013? ___________ Total attendance (including parents/caregivers)? _________
- How many total programs did libraries in the system offer for teens during summer 2013? ___________Total attendance (including parents/caregivers)? ______
- Total 1 & 2 Programs_________Attendance__________
- How many programs listed in #3 included parents/caregivers? ______ Attendance of parents/caregivers? _____
- How many workshops (professional development) were offered by the system from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014? ___________Total attendance? ______
This document in .PDF [18k]