New York State Library Sponsored Central Library Directors Meeting March 12, 2008
Meeting Room 3, Concourse, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY (Concourse map in .PDF [ ] )
Facilitator: Bruce O’Connell, retired professional development director from Washington-Warren-Saratoga-Hamilton-Essex BOCES and currently a consultant/facilitator working in the education field. He will produce a written summary of meeting suitable for sharing with central library directors, public library system directors, key NYSED staff, others.
9:00 – 9:30 Sign-in / information
9:30 – 10 Welcome – Carol Desch, Coordinator of Statewide Library Services
- Introductions/Go Around – Bruce
- What is the Central Library Directors Association? – Jim Sleeth
- History and Background of New York State Central Library Program – understand key purposes of Central Library Program – Janet Steiner
- Purpose of Meeting/Review what is to be discussed and desired outcomes – Bruce
10 – 11:30 Breakout Session Number One –Reflection, discussion and report out
- Identify key target audiences of Central library program today
- Identify successes and failures
- What services/audiences are no longer relevant?
- In your opinion, what critical services are the New York State Central Library Program providing today (and to whom?) that are relevant in today’s networked environment?
11:30 to 12:30 Lunch on your own
12:30 to 2:00 Breakout session Two –Reflection, discussion and report out
- Given current funding levels, what services/audiences will be achievable in 5 years? 10 years?
- With increased State support, what new services could Central Libraries deliver and to whom? Identify possible new services, audiences and strategies for reaching those audiences
- What is the relevance of the Central library program in today’s networked environment?
2:00 to 2:30 Summary of the day – go around, brain-storming, possible next steps
**A written summary of the meeting suitable for sharing with central library directors, public library system directors, key NYSED staff, others will be prepared by New York State Library staff.**
This document also available in .PDF [ ] format