Finding Aids for New York State Documents
Since its creation in 1818, the State Library has been a repository of official State publications of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches, commissions, public authorities, and other agencies of State government. The Library is the official New York State document depository, but there are gaps in the collection caused by agencies neglecting to forward their documents to the Library.
If you do not find a State document in Excelsior, the State Library's on-line catalog, use one of the tools described below or consult a reference librarian. New York State document finding aids include:
- Butch, Dorothy, New York State Documents: An Introductory Manual.
- Carter, Robert Allan, Annotated List and Indexes of New York State Legislative Document Series, 1919 1976.
- Carter, Robert Allan, Annotated List and Indexes of Reports of New York State Governors' Commissions and Task Forces, 1925-1985.
- A Checklist of Official Publications of the State of New York, 1947.
- Checklist of Official Publications of the State of New York, 1989-.
- Cumulative Index to Joint Legislative Committees and Selected Temporary State Commissions and Alphabetical List of Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Thereof, 1900-1950, and Supplement, 1951-1965.
- Dictionary Catalog of Official Publications of the State of New York, December 18, 1973-1991.
- General Index to the Documents of the State of New York, 1855-1891.
- Hasse, Adelaide R., Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States: New York 1789-1904.
- Legislative Digest, 1984 +. This continues New York Legislative Record and Index, 1907-1984.
- Lincoln, Charles Zebina. The Constitutional History of New York from the Beginning of the Colonial Period to the Year 1905.