Vital Record Index
The vital record index - eight drawers with green plastic covers over labels - is an index to New York State church, cemetery and local government records owned by the State Library.
It is useful in locating vital records for the pre-1880 period (before vital records were collected by the New York State Health Department).
The vital records card index is arranged alphabetically by county, and then by community within county. It includes:
- tax lists,
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) records, and
Other Guides to Vital Records Information
- Guide to Public Vital Statistics Records in New York State, including New York City - provides locations of pre-1880 vital records in local government records offices.
- New York Marriage Bonds, 1753-1783 - provides information on early marriage records
- Indexes of the Vital Records of New York State (except New York City)
- births - at least 75 years ago
- marriages and deaths - at least 50 years ago
- No indexes for Albany, Buffalo and Yonkers before 1914