FAQ: Schools and Testing

Are the New York State Regents High School Examinations (Regents Exams) available online?

Many Regents examinations have been scanned by the New York State Library and are available online in PDF format. Recent exams are also available in PDF format from the New York State Education Department.

Exams that are not online are available in hard copy at the New York State Library. You may request copies from your local library through interlibrary loan. There may be a photocopying fee.

Back to Top

Are the Regents Competency Tests available online?

Some Regents Competency Tests (RCTs) are available online, through the NYS Library's Digital Collections.

Back to Top

Where can I find information on State testing and curricula?

Information on New York State assessments can be found on the New York State Education Department's Office of State Assessment page.

The Curriculum and Instruction page contains information by subject area.

Where can I find the School Report Cards?

NYS School Report Cards can be found at https://reportcards.nysed.gov/.

Back to Top

Where can I find the laws regarding meetings of the New York State School Boards of Education? I am interested in finding out what topics can be discussed in their executive sessions and what topics must be addressed in open/public sessions.

New York State's Open Meetings Law prescribes the procedures under which meetings of public bodies, such as school boards, are held. NYS Public Officers Law, article 7, section 105 concerns the conduct of executive sessions. The Committee on Open Government is an advisory body on this topic, and you will find frequently asked questions about the Open Meetings Law and a link to the law at their web site.

How can I get a copy of my high school diploma?

Records of transcripts and diplomas are held by the school that granted them. The best source for addresses and telephone numbers of secondary schools is the Directory of Public and Non-public School Administrators maintained by the New York State Education Department (SED).

If the school you attended has since closed, contact the school district office for the geographic area in which it was located. Whether the school was public or private, the school district should have information about where your school's records were transferred when the school closed.

SED's Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision maintains a list of career training schools (including for-profit English as a Second Language, or ESL, schools) that operate in New York.

How can I get a copy of my teaching certificate?

Information on obtaining duplicate copies of lost credentials is available from the New York State Education Department's Office of Teaching Initiatives.

Back to Top

Last Updated: October 31, 2018