Exhibit: Ancient Egypt
The New York State Library's public floor exhibit for September features uncommon works on ancient Egypt.
To place this civilization in perspective, the display starts off with the relevant sections of A Chronological Chart of Ancient, Modern and Biblical History, from 1876. Its highly colorful and fantastically busy chromolithographic plates are backed on linen and fold out to a length of about twenty-one feet (not recommended for commuter reading).
Other early, large-format works capture the majesty of Egyptian art and architecture and the full scope of vast tomb complexes.
Rounding out the lot in Late Dynasty fashion are more modern, popular works.
Kingdoms crumble…physical books survive to tell their stories.
There will be a "turning of the pages" for fresh looks every Monday morning during the exhibit.
Books on display:
- A Chronological Chart of Ancient, Modern and Biblical History by Sebastian C. Adams
Cincinnati, OH: Strobridge & Co., 1876 second edition
- Paintings from the Tomb of Rekh-mi-Rē' at Thebes by Norman de Garis Davies
NY: Published for the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Plantin Press, 1935
- The Excavation of Medinet Habu: Volume 1: General Plans & Views by Uvo Hölscher
Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1934
- Publications of the Egyptian Research Account and British School of Archaeology in Egypt [The Labyrinth Gerzeh and Mazghuneh by W. M. Flinders Petrie]
London: School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1912
- Models of Daily Life in Ancient Egypt, from the Tomb of Meket-Rē' at Thebes by Herbert E. Winlock
Cambridge, MA: Published for the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Harvard University Press, 1955
- The Tomb of Senebtisi at Lisht by Arthur C. Mace
NY: Published for the Metropolitan Museum of Art by Gilliss Press, 1916
- The Tomb of Queen Meryet-Amun at Thebes by Herbert E. Winlock
NY: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1932
- The Mastaba of Mereruka by Prentice Duell
Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1938
- The Tombs of Harmhabi and Touatânkhamanou by Theodore M. Davis
London: Constable and Company, 1912
- Publications [Eckley B. Coxe Junior Expedition to Nubia: Volume 7, Buhen by D. Randall-Maciver and C. Leonard Woolley]
Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Egyptian Department of the University Museum, 1911
- The Slain Soldiers of Neb-hepet-Rē' by Herbert E. Winlock
NY: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1945
- Catalogue of Egyptian Antiquities [Gold and Silver Jewelry and Related Objects by Caroline Ransom Williams]
NY: New York Historical Society, 1924
- Memoir of the Egypt Exploration Fund [Ehnasya, 1904 by W. M. Flinders Petrie]
London: Egypt Exploration Fund, 1905
- University of California Publications. Egyptian Archaeology [A Provincial Cemetery of the Pyramid Age, Naga-ed-Dêr by George A. Reisner]
Berkeley, CA: Published for the University of California Press by Oxford University Press, 1932
Exhibit curated by Shawn Purcell