New York State Library Borrower's Card
Individuals qualifying for one of the following user categories may apply for a NYSL Borrower's Card or a New York State Resident Borrower's Card. A NYSL Borrower's Card or NYS Resident Borrower's Card allows individuals to borrow books and other materials, as well as, access online journals, online newspapers and other online resources 24/7 from work or home.
- Attorneys who are NYS residents
- Municipal Historians appointed by NYS local governmental bodies
- New York State Government Employees
- New York State Residents
- Physicians who are NYS residents
- Retired New York State Government Employees
NYSL Borrower's Card applications are now available online. Click on the appropriate borrower category listed above. A link to the related NYSL Borrower's Card application can be found under the image of the Borrower's Card.
Individuals can also request a New York State Library Borrower's Card application or a New York State Resident Borrower's Card application one of the following ways:
- at the Circulation Desk located on the 7th floor of the New York State Library
- over the phone by calling the Circulation Desk at (518) 473-7895
- by sending an email to email@example.com
Please specify the type of NYSL Borrower's card that you are applying for.
A NYSL Borrower's card is issued for individual use and is non-transferable. Please do not share your NYSL Borrower's card number or PIN with others.
All other individuals can borrow circulating materials from the New York State Library via Interlibrary Loan through their local public, school, special or college/university library. Members of the public are welcome to use the Library's collections onsite.